Skip to main content

Could not open Selected VM debug port(8700) [Solved]

My Windows crashed this weekend so I switched over to Ubuntu 11.10 (Oneiric Ocelot) hoping to have the same( or even better) developing experience than in Windows 7. I planned this weekend for trying something new with the android animations but I had to totally rethink my plan. All my SDK ecosystem has been totally lost. Last time this happened was when my laptop crashed but this time its with my desktop(actually a laptop turned in to desktop, lets come to this later). It took me almost one day to download, install, update and configure the OS. Moreover I had to setup my Eclipse IDE and Android SDK which is an elaborative procedure.

Anyway finally I had everything up and running. But I had to face a different kinda problem with Eclipse running in gnome. I believe its more specific to this gnome desktop but occasionally this problem occurs in Windows too it seems from the android forum posts.

The issue is this
1)I run Eclipse.
2)Launch the emulator.
3)Now close the Eclipse alone but the emulator is still running.
4)Launch the eclipse again.
5)Eclipse will open but it will throw an error stating “Could not open Selected VM debug port(8700)” and you wont be able to proceed further with using your IDE.

Error Screen in Eclipse 3.7.0 running in Ubuntu 11.10


I searched through a lot of forum posts related to this issue. All of them pointed out to changing your debug port number to something else other than 8700. But it wont help. This issue basically caused by two instances of DDMS(running from two instances of Eclipse) trying to access the port 8700. So one quick way to check this is from your System Monitor. Launch the System Monitor when this error is displayed, you could see two instances of Eclipse running. So as far as I am concerned one possible fix is to close emulator also whenever you close the Eclipse and also to check for other instance of Eclipse when trying to launch it.

 
System Monitor showing two instances of Eclipse

In Windows this is not the scenario. Whenever you close and relaunch Eclipse without closing the emulator, the IDE will reconnect with the available active emulator. This is the feature I miss most in Ubuntu. Hope Eclipse team will do something to fix it.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to use JCalendar date picker in your Java Swing Applications with NetBeans

If you are one of those JAVA beginners like me who wants to implement a datepicker module in your experimental/business critical application developed with NetBeans IDE , then this for you. Let me share how I figured out to do so in simple steps with a sample code. Assuming that you have your Java Swing application ready, you will need to download the JCalendar package from here http://www.toedter.com/en/jcalendar/index.html . The page lists out various modules available with descriptions like JDateChooser, JCalendar, JYearChooser, JMonthChooser, JDayChooser, JSpinField and JLocaleChooser. The one I chose for my app was JDateChooser. After downloading and opening the ZIP file, you can see a whole set of files in it. The one we need is in the folder ‘lib’ with the name jcalendar-1.4.jar (this is the latest version while I was writing this). extract that file to your folder of comfort. The jar file you just extracted contains everything you need to implement the date picker in y

Configuring Google Cardboard to work with Ant VR Headset for Lenovo Vibe K4 Note

Let me make it short. Open the Google Cardboard app from your Lenovo Vibe K4 Note. Go to Switch Viewer option and scan the following QR code. This makes Google Cardboard app to work perfectly with Ant VR Headset. Thanks to this Quora thread . Note : Dont use the inbuilt VR mode and Google Cardboard together. VR mode tries to make the whole android experience viewable through VR headset whereas Google Cardboard only produces VR experience for selective apps with Cardboard compatibility. So they dont work at the same time. Nothing goes wrong even if you activate them together, you only see VRception. Dont use default Ant VR app As mentioned in the Quora thread, dont use Ant VR app. It looks fishy and amateurish. May be its even a spying venture of PLA. who knows. Difference between 360 and 3D videos? If you open 360 videos from Google Cardboard you can watch selected 360 videos (like this one ), where you can rotate your head and look everywhere within t

Honda CB Twister India : A Quick Review

I came across a dozen reviews of Honda CB Twister on web and finally decided to buy it. I owned it on last March, 2012. It costed around ₹63,000 with disc brakes, alloy wheels, road tax and stuffs. The reason why I have included ‘India’ in title is because Twister is also available as Honda CB110 in other countries. Here is my short account on my experience with Twister. Mileage Mileage is a very essential part of my riding experience. I travel around 200 Kms every week, so fuel expenses shouldn't make me bankrupt. Twister’s 60 – 65 KmpL mileage is one of the factors that influenced my choice while buying. Anyway in advertisements its claimed to be 70KmpL.   Engine Nowadays its a increasing trend to see Indians going for high end bikes, but in my case I am good with medium performance engines. Twister’s 110CC engine makes riding smooth up to 55Kmph speed, beyond that Honda Twister turns in to a Honda Vibrator. Considering the fact that I’m not an adrenalized rider,