Skip to main content

Sony Walkman NWZ A844 Player Review

 

If you once read through my ‘About Me’ info in Facebook or in any other social network you would know how much I’m addicted to music. I recently purchased my portable Sony media player for Rs.6990/- from www.flipkart.com . You have no idea how much I love it. When I shown it to my friends they suggested that I could have gone for a Sony Ericsson Walkman series phone. I felt so sorry for them coz these idiots don’t even know how it feels to enjoy music at its best quality. Some even argued Apple iPod is the ultimate choice of the masses. I agree that technology that goes in to iPod is as Superior as Sony Walkman series players. But nothing matches the studio quality music in Sony media players. I want to tell you guys one thing, listening to loud screaming beats doesn’t even count as music.

So let me point out the reasons for why my Sony Walkman NWZ A844 Player scores better than Apple iPod in the same range.

Sony Walkman NWZ A844

P1030023

P1030025

Noise Cancellation

A-series players in Sony features superior Noise Cancellation technology that when used with Sony Noise Cancellation ear buds totally cuts out the outside environment noises. This is ideal for public transport commuters. For obvious reasons I will not suggest this for listening while driving. My first test drive was while I was travelling in Route 79 bus from Kanchi to Tambaram. To my surprise it surpassed my expectations. I discovered that even if you are not listening to music you can just use this as a noise suppression device in Diwali season or whatever (Indian Brains in action don’t blame me) .

Warning: Without noise cancellation ear buds Sony Walkman sounds like any other Apple iPod player.

 

Ear Buds

Earphone Plug

400 x 240 Pixels OLED

The high contrast OLED display redefines video and picture viewing. The dark spots of the screen appears perfectly pitch dark. You wont get this kind of experience in Sony Ericsson mobile or Apple iPod of this price range. Moreover Apple iPod at this competitive price cannot play video but can only display pictures. Sorry I can perfectly capture the display in the below shot.

Sony Walkman NWZ A844

8GB in-built Memory

The 8GB memory is more than enough to hold your favorite songs and movies. Usually if you use Windows 7 , the WMV and MP4 format videos automatically get converted to compatible resolution while copying in to the player. For FLV and other format videos I use AVS video converter.

In my initial research I came across reviews saying A-series Sony players not as trembling as S-series players. But when you set the Equalizer and Surround sound settings to proper configuration you will feel like listening to a home theatre sound.

So here is the final verdict. If you are a serious music freak then this is for you. If you are a person who often listen to music while driving, then this is your killer, better you can use alternative normal ear buds with this player. Or you can go for iPod if you don’t want video watching options.

btw Sony don’t pay me to write this review.

Comments

  1. prottushna@yahoo.co.inDecember 19, 2011 at 4:52 PM

    i read somewhere in a review of this pmp that the audio loudness is low, is it so?

    i'd appreciate if you reply me to my email, as i am planning to buy one too..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude.. Obviously U never owned a iPod did you?? I mean I like the way u have written the review.. But sound quality of iPod is unmatched yet...

    "I agree that technology that goes in to iPod is as Superior as Sony Walkman series players"

    Sony doesnt have match of iPod quality, not yet...

    400 x 240 Pixels OLED Display

    Obviously u r surely unaware of the quality of display used in iPods..

    Pricing: If u want quality, obviously you need to pay more..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As far as sound quality is concerned iPod sucks. If you search the net properly you will get countless reviews about the superior sound quality of Cowon J3, Sansa Clip Plus, Sansa Fuze, Sony Players when compared to iPods. It is generaly agreed that iPods are only good as multifunctional devices. Even numerous iPod owners at ilounge testifies to the fact that iPod sounds inferior to a lot of competitor players mentioned above.

      Delete
  3. @ignitedvision yeah I never owned an iPod but I have used my friends' players. I was just comparing it iPod at the same price range coz #iamsomiddleclass

    ReplyDelete
  4. does this damage ears when used on a long term basis? because im a music addict and i listen pretty mch the whole day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Volume Level 12 will be ideal in this player, beyond that it might damage your ears if used for a long time.

      Delete
  5. I had purchased this player 1-year 4-months back. it recently died :(.. i mean it stopped taking charge from usb cable and ultimately it died.. i had taken it to the service center but they said they cant do anything they need to replace the whole module inside, which would cost me around 5000/-. So my point is- YES this is the best sound quality and best video quality mp3 player but no guarantee of the product hardware it can die anytime.. now i have purchased COWON J3 Mp3 player it sounds great than sony.. TRY IT.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. can u tell me abt the battery life???.. i find sony doesnt give importance to battery life even i have to same prob wit ma phone... reply soon as it wud be helpful to make a decision!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Battery life is average neither bad nor too good, but I'm ok with it. When battery totally empties the charge indicator will blink, but even in that i can play songs for around 1.5 hours.

      Delete
  7. i read somewhere in a review of this pmp that the audio loudness is low, is it so?

    i'd appreciate if you reply me to my email, as i am planning to buy one too..
    i second that..
    getaads@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea what kind of music lover you are. For me the music should be mild and the each instrument should be distinctly audible. So this player best suits me. If you are like me you will also like it.

      Btw my friend is gonna buy this one
      http://www.philips.co.in/c/mp3-and-mp4-players/gogear-ariaz-8gb-sa3ara08k_97/prd/

      It has similar features as in Sony NWZ A844 player. If you wait for some more time, I will have a hands on experience and reply you.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How to use JCalendar date picker in your Java Swing Applications with NetBeans

If you are one of those JAVA beginners like me who wants to implement a datepicker module in your experimental/business critical application developed with NetBeans IDE , then this for you. Let me share how I figured out to do so in simple steps with a sample code. Assuming that you have your Java Swing application ready, you will need to download the JCalendar package from here http://www.toedter.com/en/jcalendar/index.html . The page lists out various modules available with descriptions like JDateChooser, JCalendar, JYearChooser, JMonthChooser, JDayChooser, JSpinField and JLocaleChooser. The one I chose for my app was JDateChooser. After downloading and opening the ZIP file, you can see a whole set of files in it. The one we need is in the folder ‘lib’ with the name jcalendar-1.4.jar (this is the latest version while I was writing this). extract that file to your folder of comfort. The jar file you just extracted contains everything you need to implement the date picker in y

Configuring Google Cardboard to work with Ant VR Headset for Lenovo Vibe K4 Note

Let me make it short. Open the Google Cardboard app from your Lenovo Vibe K4 Note. Go to Switch Viewer option and scan the following QR code. This makes Google Cardboard app to work perfectly with Ant VR Headset. Thanks to this Quora thread . Note : Dont use the inbuilt VR mode and Google Cardboard together. VR mode tries to make the whole android experience viewable through VR headset whereas Google Cardboard only produces VR experience for selective apps with Cardboard compatibility. So they dont work at the same time. Nothing goes wrong even if you activate them together, you only see VRception. Dont use default Ant VR app As mentioned in the Quora thread, dont use Ant VR app. It looks fishy and amateurish. May be its even a spying venture of PLA. who knows. Difference between 360 and 3D videos? If you open 360 videos from Google Cardboard you can watch selected 360 videos (like this one ), where you can rotate your head and look everywhere within t

Honda CB Twister India : A Quick Review

I came across a dozen reviews of Honda CB Twister on web and finally decided to buy it. I owned it on last March, 2012. It costed around ₹63,000 with disc brakes, alloy wheels, road tax and stuffs. The reason why I have included ‘India’ in title is because Twister is also available as Honda CB110 in other countries. Here is my short account on my experience with Twister. Mileage Mileage is a very essential part of my riding experience. I travel around 200 Kms every week, so fuel expenses shouldn't make me bankrupt. Twister’s 60 – 65 KmpL mileage is one of the factors that influenced my choice while buying. Anyway in advertisements its claimed to be 70KmpL.   Engine Nowadays its a increasing trend to see Indians going for high end bikes, but in my case I am good with medium performance engines. Twister’s 110CC engine makes riding smooth up to 55Kmph speed, beyond that Honda Twister turns in to a Honda Vibrator. Considering the fact that I’m not an adrenalized rider,