Skip to main content

My LASIK Surgery experience with Vasan Eye Care

I work in Chennai and I thought of having an eye checkup in my hometown Kanchi. I have High Myopia with right eye : –4.75 and left eye : –8.0 . I wanted to know the feasibility of having Laser Treatment. I approached the Vasan Eye Care branch in Kanchipuram in April 2012. The hospital was well furnished and its a newly opened branch in Kanchipuram. The doctors and other medical staffs were caring as they portray in the advertisements.

I had couple of tests performed on my eyes and then the ophthalmologist referred me to Saidapet branch of Vasan eye care, where they have other sophisticated devices to do further tests it seems. Everything was fine and the tests gave a go ahead for my LASIK surgery. Even the doctors in saidapet branch were caring, except for the bitter experience we had with the manager of the Saidapet branch. Initially we were informed in Kanchi that we can pay all medical fees including surgery fees at Kanchi branch itself and they will fix appointments in Saidapet. But the manager in Saidapet persuaded us to have the patient record and billing location transferred to Saidapet itself. Even her assistant informed us that we have some sort of summer offer in Saidapet and we can avail concession.

We were puzzled and then contacted Kanchi branch to have a clear idea of the process and we informed them what we were told in Saidapet branch. In the meantime the manager in Saidapet came to know about this, she got freaked out and she was hesitating to fix an appointment for my surgery. She declined to answer our queries and told us to refer to Kanchi branch for whatever we want to know. That was totally unprofessional. We argued that from our perspective Vasan Eye Care is a single brand, we dont give a damn about their internal management bullshits and reminded them of plenty of alternative hospitals to have my surgery done. Finally the lady fixed me an appointment date and agreed to share my test results with Kanchi branch. This experience totally tarnished the image I had about Vasan.

Vasan Eye Care Orbscan Report

Anyway I decided to have surgery on June 2012, only at that time I will be free from office work. I had a successful surgery and now I have a clear vision. Thanks to Vasan as they all say. I’d like to thank Dr.Lalitha who treated me very well.

Here is a break down of expenses I incurred for this surgery:
  • First time checkup and consultation at Kanchi – ₹ 60 (paid in Kanchi)this receipt has a validity for two more visits within 30 days.
  • Orbscan test at saidapet, referred from Kanchi – ₹ 750 (paid in Kanchi)
  • A dozen more tests perfomed in Saidapet and Kanchi which were covered under the first payment I made.
  • Pre-Op medications bought in Kanchi, these eye drops need to be applied for three days before surgery - ₹ 467 (paid in Kanchi). This cost may vary based on the manufacturer. Usually its an antibiotic and eye lubricant drops.
  • LASIK treatment at Saidapet – ₹ 38,000 (paid in Kanchi)
  • Post-Op medications bought in Saidapet – ₹ 179 (paid in Saidapet), the two drops that I already bought are need to be continued after the surgery also.
  • Protective Goggles bought in Saidapet - ₹ 75 (paid in Saidapet),
Vasan Eye Care Post Op Prescription

I have all these bills documented and also obtained discharge summary, ophthalmic report and final bill from Kanchi branch so as to apply for medial reimbursement.

If you’d like to know what the actual procedure for LASIK, you may watch this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaoA4PLb7hc

But please dont watch any other actual surgical video before surgery.

After surgery you need to be in rest for atleast 7 to 10 days. You should not touch your eyes or even the area around your eyes. You should follow the prescriptions properly. You should not apply water to your head or face. I'm not sure about Western countries, but in out tropical dusty conditions its better to stay home and wear the protective glasses even during sleep at night time.

LASIK Post Op Protective Goggles

Or you can just get a cool sunglasses for day time purpose. Always go for a good quality ones like these.

Vasan Eye Care LASIK Post Op Medications
For over a week I did nothing but sleeping, walking and listening (not watching) to TV. My parents cooperated very well.

No need to have any restriction on your diet, it can be as usual. You should avoid doing physical exercises for about a month.

The way you care your eyes after the surgery is much more important than the surgery itself.

Comments

  1. Very good tips and procedure... thankd...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I from Madras and I am considering lasik surgery. I am concerend aboutthe sense of touch/pain by instruments in eye during the surgery. May i contact you ? Can you please send your phone nuber to my email address ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Venkat you can post your queries here. I will reply.
      Yes you will feel a little bit uncomfortable with this procedure, but as long as you cooperate with your surgeon you are fine. You will feel as if your eye ball is sucked out but its perfectly alright. But there are some cases where the patient may get a fracture in white of the eye which would take some more time to recover.
      My friends had also undergone laser surgery but its a different technique from LASIK and cost was also half of that for me. They had it done in Shankara Nethralaya.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for your useful tips. I too consulted Vasan and now they have increased the amount to 45,000. They also informed me about another treatment which cost 80,000 which is blade less. Kindly let me know if Shankara Nethralaya provided proper treatment as I have been advised not to reach Sankara Nethralaya as their service is too bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure Kiruba but my friends have gone there they didnt complaint about their service. It all depends on how we take care of our eyes for a couple of months after surgery.

      Delete
    2. Do u feel any side effects like halos,starburst after surgery

      Delete
    3. yes I felt dry eyes but I use a lubricant solution which keeps my eyes wet. You may feel a little bit itchy while driving without helmet or glasses.

      Delete
  4. i have different eye sight -5 and 0.5 in my eyes ,this was checkd by last two year before in aravindh hospital,i had a glass from there,i ddint check my eye sight after that,can i do lasik? if s means which is the best hospital for this laser treatment and am belongs to coimbatore
    please suggest me
    Regards
    dhanesh.cuk@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Am from kanchipuram . please tell me the cost for lasik operation in best hospital .... which woul i prefer Vaasan or agarwal??????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi I'm also from Kanchipuram. Its been almost a year since I had my surgery. So cost might have changed. You please better check the cost with Vasan and Agarwal. Vasan in Saidapet is a better hospital in my opinion.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How to use JCalendar date picker in your Java Swing Applications with NetBeans

If you are one of those JAVA beginners like me who wants to implement a datepicker module in your experimental/business critical application developed with NetBeans IDE , then this for you. Let me share how I figured out to do so in simple steps with a sample code. Assuming that you have your Java Swing application ready, you will need to download the JCalendar package from here http://www.toedter.com/en/jcalendar/index.html . The page lists out various modules available with descriptions like JDateChooser, JCalendar, JYearChooser, JMonthChooser, JDayChooser, JSpinField and JLocaleChooser. The one I chose for my app was JDateChooser. After downloading and opening the ZIP file, you can see a whole set of files in it. The one we need is in the folder ‘lib’ with the name jcalendar-1.4.jar (this is the latest version while I was writing this). extract that file to your folder of comfort. The jar file you just extracted contains everything you need to implement the date picker in y

Configuring Google Cardboard to work with Ant VR Headset for Lenovo Vibe K4 Note

Let me make it short. Open the Google Cardboard app from your Lenovo Vibe K4 Note. Go to Switch Viewer option and scan the following QR code. This makes Google Cardboard app to work perfectly with Ant VR Headset. Thanks to this Quora thread . Note : Dont use the inbuilt VR mode and Google Cardboard together. VR mode tries to make the whole android experience viewable through VR headset whereas Google Cardboard only produces VR experience for selective apps with Cardboard compatibility. So they dont work at the same time. Nothing goes wrong even if you activate them together, you only see VRception. Dont use default Ant VR app As mentioned in the Quora thread, dont use Ant VR app. It looks fishy and amateurish. May be its even a spying venture of PLA. who knows. Difference between 360 and 3D videos? If you open 360 videos from Google Cardboard you can watch selected 360 videos (like this one ), where you can rotate your head and look everywhere within t

Honda CB Twister India : A Quick Review

I came across a dozen reviews of Honda CB Twister on web and finally decided to buy it. I owned it on last March, 2012. It costed around ₹63,000 with disc brakes, alloy wheels, road tax and stuffs. The reason why I have included ‘India’ in title is because Twister is also available as Honda CB110 in other countries. Here is my short account on my experience with Twister. Mileage Mileage is a very essential part of my riding experience. I travel around 200 Kms every week, so fuel expenses shouldn't make me bankrupt. Twister’s 60 – 65 KmpL mileage is one of the factors that influenced my choice while buying. Anyway in advertisements its claimed to be 70KmpL.   Engine Nowadays its a increasing trend to see Indians going for high end bikes, but in my case I am good with medium performance engines. Twister’s 110CC engine makes riding smooth up to 55Kmph speed, beyond that Honda Twister turns in to a Honda Vibrator. Considering the fact that I’m not an adrenalized rider,